RAVE Sports, a premier watersports manufacturer and recognizable brand worldwide, is seeking an energetic, innovative person to join our product engineering staff at our corporate headquarters in Eagan, MN. For over 20yrs, RAVE has been producing high quality water recreation products and has earned a stellar reputation for innovation and creating fun, exciting products for the whole family. From our extensive line of commercial inflatables and waterpark vehicles to consumer Towables, Skis, Wakeboards, Leisure Pool and Lake Floats, Stand up Paddle Boards, etc we are constantly innovating and improving our line of over 300 products. We have a passion for water and the outdoors and we are looking for someone who wants to share with us and our customers their creativity and passion for fun, outdoor recreation.
Job Title: Product Design Engineer Position (FT/PT): Full time
Requested Start Date: Immed.
- Work in concert with Marketing, Sales and Sr. Leadership team to identify and manage a portfolio of projects for new products, enhancements/improvements to existing products, etc. Coordinate model year product changes to products across multiple product lines.
- Sketch and conceptualize new ideas for new or existing products
- Prepare competitive product research, analysis and review
- Provide engineering analysis and material selection specifications on key aspects of all design projects. Maintain appropriate design records.
- Work closely with Industrial Designers and Marketing regarding aesthetic design, product graphics, packaging, etc.
- Source and select vendors for making the product and coordinate and negotiate lowest possible costing. Manage vendor contact information and act as relationship manager for assigned vendors.
- Create and send detailed technical drawings and construction specifications to manufacturing factories and coordinate first article samples for approval.
- Product Management responsibility for assigned products.
- Write, update and manage product specifications for current or new products.
- Manage “as built” drawings/assemblies/Bills of Materials/Item numbers and manufacturing construction documentation. Manage design version control as well as manufacturing version control.
- Respond to factory questions/problems with component parts, raw materials, packaging or other manufacturing issues. Provide analysis and authorization for “substitute” parts or changes in the manufacturing process and coordinate the subsequent product testing and compliance documentation. Coordinate third party testing as needed.
- Research and maintain knowledge of industry standards regarding product safety and design. Participate on technical committees where appropriate.
- Coordinate product testing (on land and on water) and documentation of same and maintain necessary records. Research any reports of injury and make product improvements as necessary.
- Communication and collaboration between RAVE and overseas factories regarding design vs cost optimization, manufacturing specifications, quality assurance, etc
- Coordinate design changes with factories and manage mfg lot control and version control tracking.
- Proactive follow-up with factories during first production run, making sure all details of product specs, artwork, manuals, etc are coordinated. Proactively monitor status of first production and coordinate first article inspections of product, packaging, mktg inserts, etc.
- Determine repair parts and prepare design documentation for replacement parts.
- Technical illustrations as necessary for design documentation, manufacturing communication, owner’s manuals and etc.
- Provide technical content for owner manuals.
- Support Customer Service by providing technical support and troubleshooting of products
- Provide coordination between Customer, RAVE and factory on private label or SMU (Special Make Up) products.
- Provide technical assistance for intellectual property/patent filings as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned along with periodic domestic and overseas travel as needed.
- Proficiency in technical documentation via 2D & 3D CAD (detail drawings, assemblies, bills of materials) using Rhino 5, Fusion 360 or Solidworks is preferred.
- Solid understanding of managing design documentation and version controls.
- Versed in Microsoft Suite products, Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Outstanding organization, project management skills and attention to details is a must
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) is a must
- Good understand of a wide variety of materials for soft goods and hard goods mfg is preferred
- “Results oriented” performer who is driven to break down barriers and drive for results
- Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Fluent in the use of cloud platforms and electronic meeting/video conferencing for effective communication of product specifications and knowledge sharing with our factories and customers
- Understanding and ability to use measuring and other scientific instruments such as measuring tape, calipers, psi gauge, thermal recorders, tensile/compression/accelerometer force gauges, etc
- Experience in the design of “inflatables” is preferred
- Able to lift more than 50lbs. individually
- Ability to speak Mandarin is a plus
- Strong interest in outdoor recreation is a must.
- Must have a 4 yr degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology or Industrial Design with a concentration in Product Development.
- 3-5 yrs experience in product development of consumer and/or commercial recreational products is preferred.
If interested, send resume and salary requirements to:
Tom Plante- VP of Product R&D
985 Aldrin Dr. #301
Eagan, MN 55121
For more information about RAVE, visit our website: www.ravesports.com
Posting Date: March 11, 2019